Holy Trinity Church Without doubt, Holy Trinity Church, Gwernaffield is the centre of the village spiritually and in reality. Built in the 1850’s, the painted walls are a striking feature.
Deborah's Well This little site of interest is just outside the village on the Cadole Road. There is a plaque detailing its significance, and a seat to contemplate the site and the view.
Please Note: care should be taken to approach the site, either by using the Permissive Footpath inside the wall, or by the road which has no pedestrian footpath.
The Leete Path The leete (details can be found in the Community booklet, was used to carry water along the edge of the cliffs above the River Alyn, for the mine workings. A footpath runs alongside the 'leete' or ditch, itself, and provides a most interesting level walk for some distance through the woods. It leads also to Devil's Gorge. (below)
Devil's Gorge Nowadays an attractive spot for abseiling down the steep sides, or for the bridge which carries the leete path across the narrow entrance, Devil's Gorge is a very narrow gorge forming an entrance to a cave system in the limestone. Walkers and visitors are advised to adhere strictly to the footpaths, especially in the wet, when the slopes and sides can be dangerous.
The Alleluia Monument On the road from Gwernaffield to Mold, opposite Rhual Grange is the monument set to mark the spot where it is reputed that St Garmon, at the time a bishop (Germanus of Auxerre, France), led a small force of local men against attack by a large invading force of Picts and Scots. Standing on the hill the small force of defenders yelled 'Alleluia' at the tops of their voices, and the sound echoed and reverberated to such an extent that the attackers believed the defensive force to be so numerous that they could not win, and retreated in fear and disarray.